What I can recommend to you is to do the following:
Strengthen your trust in Allah SWT. Without the trust, you will not find peace within yourself. You will not have confidence with which to deal with events in your life.
Do you want to seek out help from mere people or from the All-Knowing, All-Wise? A calamity can strike our personal lives at any time but when you have TRUST in Allah SWT you will not buckle, you will remain steadfast and strong throughout its duration and once you are through it, you will see why this has befallen you. Do not ask ‘Why?’ Allah SWT works in miraculous ways and when He wants to teach you something or guide you to something, He has an unbelievable way of doing this. Allah guides us in big and small ways but we have to be tuned into Him. For those who care to seek Him out, He is always there.
Allah SWT says:
"Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying), I will remember you, and be grateful to Me (for My countless Favours on you) and never be ungrateful to Me." [Surah Al-Baqarah, 2: 152]
Allah SWT also says:
"And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to As-Sabirun (the patient). Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: "Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return. They are those on whom are the Salawat (i.e. who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided ones."
[Surah Al-Baqarah, 2: 155-156]
To help this trust to grow and develop always ask Allah SWT for this with a sincere duaa.
Here are 7 practical steps to help you face any difficult situation:
- Salah. Make sure you stick to praying on time – 5 times a day. Never miss a salah and do your best to pray each Salah with sincerity as if it’s your last salah in this world.
- Read Quran. This Quran is so beautiful that no matter what difficulties you face you’ll find solace in it.
- Make Dua. (The best one is found below and is provided in Arabic and English)
- Give Sadaqah. Give lots of charity, as much as you can, because it helps push away hardship. And if you can’t give money, even kind words or physical sadaqah can do (i.e. helping people physically or emotionally).
- Set Goals and Have Vision. Don’t let shaytaan play with you and keep replaying the video of your hardship in your mind over and over again, move on! Set new goals, new projects, and remember you’re with Allah, nothing should stop you!
- Wake up Early. Wake up before fajr and work on your ideas and projects, or simply read Qur’an. Getting busy before day break is a definite way to move away from your hardship and overcome challenges. Get most of your ideas/work done in these early hours, these are blessed hours.
- Hardship is Not Lost. Remember, Allah will never forget the injustice/hardship you faced, so don’t worry about seeking revenge or trying to get justice
Refer to the invocations from the Qurán and Sunnah
There are excellent invocations in this book. Look at the following invocations:
when you find something becoming difficult for you 45/page 71
for anguish 37/page 66
in times of worry and grief 36/page 65
to seek Allah SWT’s protection 50/page 73 ( this invocation is to seek protection of children but can be adjusted to include yourself and any other family member, just add names)
for before sleeping 30/page 55
You need to browse and see which supplications you are seeking out. I add the supplications to my Fajr prayers in the morning and Isha at night. I always use the protection supplications. They work and praise be to Allah SWT.
The medicine for sorrow, grief, anxiety and depression is this dua: (also it is in the Fortress of the Muslim list of invocation included above)
Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas’ood, that the Messenger of Allah [SAWS] said: There is no person who suffers any anxiety or grief, and he/she says:
“Oh Allah! Indeed I am Your slave
Son of Your male (my father) and female (my mother) slaves
My forehead is in Your Hand (i.e. You have control over me)
And Your Judgement upon me is assured, and Your Decree upon me is just
I ask you with every name that You have named Yourself with
Or revealed in Your Book (Quran), or taught to any of Your creation
Or kept with Yourself in the unseen that is with You
That You make the Quran the life of my heart, and the light of my chest
And the banisher of my sadness and the reliever of my distress.
Allah will take away your anxiety and grief, and replace your sorrow with joy.
The companions asked: Ya Rasool Allah! Does it befit for us that we learn these words (i.e. this dua)?
He replied: Absolutely. Whoever hears of it should learn it.
[Musnad Imam Ahmad]
May Alaah SWT make it easy for you. Ameen