Good day, I was wondering about Masturbation in Islam, I have decided to convert (It just makes so much sense to me, and my heart tugs to the idea. I've done a lot of research on the religion, and after nearly half a year I was just like "It's time". I even just ordered a Quran on Amazon from Yusuf Ali, it has both the English & Arabic. It should be at my home on the 2nd of October @ 8 PM. So-far I've been reading the Quran off an iPhone app that also has Yusuf Ali's translation.)and I was worried about this subject. I am 16 1/2 years old and I live in a Christian household, it's been very rough as there are barely any Islamic people in my town (There has only been 1 person I have met that isn't Christian, and he is my only Muslim friend.) My mother is a very open and understanding person but my father not so much. I am pure blood German, 1st generation to America, and my family tends to have traditional, stubborn ways. My Father hates Islam (It's a blind hatred, he knows nothing about the religion at all), so our relationship will suffer when I make the decision to convert.
Anyhow, enough about me, back to masturbation. I have a lot of stress in my life, religious, sports, ext. I find that masturbation is a good way to relieve stress at the end of a long day, (and quite honestly it helps me be less horny if you will, I am 16 years old, you know?).
I keep my mind off of sexual things pretty much 24/7. Even when I masturbate, I don't fantasize, I don't even think. I don't watch pornography, view naughty pictures, ext. I just sit there and do what I gotta do basically. I do it once to twice a week and that's it.
I don't think masturbation really happened in the times of Muhammad (peace be upon him) so it wasn't an issue talked about in the Quran (as far as I know, sorry if I am ignorant to the subject. All I have found so far is Chapter 24 verse 33 & Chapter 70 verse 29 - 31, but they weren't specifically talking about masturbation in my opinion. I don't think that masturbation makes you unchaste (I could be wrong) as said in chapter 24 verse 33, and in Chapter 70 verse 29 - 31, I think that only applies to unmarried sexual intercourse.
So I guess my question is, is there anything in the Quran that says Masturbation is Haram? Or is it just Hadith?
Sorry for being so blunt, I just really need to know the answer to this question!
I ask that if you reply to this, please use good grammar and spelling, and actually know what you are talking about. I've seen a lot of trollers on the internet (I don't know if that is here, sorry.)
The question has been closed for the following reason "Duplicate Question" by sadie Oct 20 at 02:51
There is a teaching within 'Islamic' literature on the prohibition of masturbation and that it is a filthy and sinful act. There is nothing in the Qur'an to suggest this is prohibited or is sinful. The portrayal of one's own genitals as untouchable and sinful has an indirect side-effect on growing individuals' minds by creating subconscious 'blockades' to sexual pleasure - that receiving pleasure from their bodies is at some level, inherently wrong and incorrect. It may lead to mental reluctance to acceptance of sexual pleasure and to fully surrender to the enjoyment of sexual sensations Allah bestows on them during their merital lives. Instead of embracing their bodies and the ability to enjoy sexual pleasure, this teaching promotes in building a sense of guilt for having sexual tension.
Sexual desire itself is one of many bounties Allah bestows on an individual. It is both healthy and needed for enjoyment and well-being. Being another bounty of Allah, it should be perceived by every person as a miracle of Allah and to not only be accepted but also embraced. However, the instilled notion as a result of this teaching is as stated, the opposite. The effect trickles into the bedroom when they are married and can lead to inhibitions to sexual creativity, exploration and a lack of confidence to sexually express themselves and confidently enjoy sexual expressions with their husbands or wives. "...who guard their private parts, except from their spouses or whom their right hands possess - these are not blameworthy. But anyone who seeks more than this, then they are the transgressors." (Qur'an 23:5-7)
This verse is stressing the severity of adultery and fornication. As mentioned in the verse, one can have intercourse with only "spouses" or those "whom their right hands posses" (who also have to be married - 4:24). The sinfulness of this act is depicted by labeling the one who has had intercourse with a person who is of any other relationship than these "transgressor" ( الْعَادُون ). [Adultery / fornication is strictly forbidden in Glorious Qur'an 24:2 and for which a punishment is prescribed].
The expression "these are not blameworthy" used to describe those who only engage in lawful sexual acts with married spouses/married right hands possess, and the word "transgressors", used for those who do it with other than these, are indications that the verse is in reference to adultery and fornication.
Therefore, the expression "anyone who seeks more than this" is in reference to anyone seeking someone who is not their married spouse/married rights hands posses for sexual intercourse rather than masturbation. The intention of the verse is to stress that marital tie/agreement is a necessary prerequisite for sexual intercourse with another person in order to not be blameworthy and to not be a transgressor. Therefore, it cannot be related to masturbation, which is unrelated to the context of discussion. i found this hope it helps basically it is not allowed i had some info about this before but i cant seem to find it but i hope this helps brother
Good day and peace upon you!!
indeed masturbation is better than committing adultery. may Allah help us to avoid everything that is unlawful. (some scholars differed in this issue) but all I want to say that this issue should not prevent you from converting/reverting to Islam.
As Islam starts by testifying that there is no deity except Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah (laa ilaha illa Allah- Muhammadan Rasoul-Allah.)
Good luck in seeking/searching/finding the truth, and best regards.
As far as I know masturbation is haram, it is an act seen as "dirty" in every society not just by Muslims. If you are wanting to convert to Islam I would suggest you continue your research you still probably know nothing about Islam. Me a Muslim born to a Muslim society know little and am still learning so for you to want to learn is a great thing and a brave act may i add considering the situation you live in. Stay strong, do not think that just because masturbation is banned in our religion that it is enough for you to dismiss this faith as the right one, the devil or shaytan as we say in Arabic will never leave us alone he will always try to waver our faith but keep your head high and know that you are on the right path and may Allah and Muhammed and Ali be with you.
الحمد لله الذي هدانا لهذا وما كنا لنهتدي لولا أن هدانا الله
Praise be to Allah, Who has guided us to this (felicity): never could we have found guidance, had it not been for the guidance of Allah
I leave you with this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d16CpWp-ok
http://ia600309.us.archive.org/2/items/IslamicGuideToSexualRelationsmuhammadIbnAdamAl-kawthari/IslamicGuideToSexualRelationsmuhammadIbnAdamAl-kawthari.pdf I too am a revert from a christian family, look at this pdf, it will help. I think as soon as you revert, take shahadah, find a wife as soon as possible.
Praise be to Allaah.
Masturbation (for both men and women) is haraam (forbidden) in Islam based on the following evidence:
First from the Qur’aan:
Imam Shafi’i stated that masturbation is forbidden based on the following verses from the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning):
"And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts). Except from their wives or (the captives and slaves) that their right hands possess, - for them, they are free from blame. But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors." 23.5-7 Here the verses are clear in forbidding all illegal sexual acts (including masturbation) except for the wives or that their right hand possess. And whoever seeks beyond that is the transgressor.
"And let those who find not the financial means for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah enriches them of His bounty." 24.33. This verse also clearly orders whoever does not have the financial means to marry to keep himself chaste and be patient in facing temptations (including masturbation) until Allah enriches them of His bounty.
Secondly, from the sunnah of the Prophet (peace be upon him):
Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood said, "We were with the Prophet while we were young and had no wealth whatsoever. So Allaah’s Messenger said, "O young people! Whoever among you can marry, should marry, because it helps him lower his gaze and guard his modesty (i.e. his private parts from committing illegal sexual intercourse etc.), and whoever is not able to marry, should fast, as fasting diminishes his sexual power." Bukhari:5066. The hadeeth orders men who are not able to marry to fast despite the hardship encountered in doing so, and not to masturbate despite the ease with which it can be done.
There are additional evidences that can be cited to support this ruling on masturbation, but due to the limited space we will not go through them here. Allaah knows what is best and most correct.
As for curing the habit of masturbation, we recommend the following suggestions:
1) The motive to seek a cure for this problem should be solely following Allaah’s orders and fearing His punishment.
2) A permanent and quick cure from this problem lies in marriage as soon as the person is able, as shown in the Prophet’s hadeeth.
3) Keeping oneself busy with what is good for this world and the hereafter is essential in breaking this habit before it becomes second nature after which it is very difficult to rid oneself of it.
4) Lowering the gaze (from looking at forbidden things such as pictures, movies etc.) will help suppress the desire before it leads one to commit the haraam (forbidden). Allaah orders men and women to lower their gaze as shown in the following two verses and in the Prophet’s hadeeth (interpretations of the meanings):
"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is all-aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) ..... " 24.30-31
Allaah’s messenger said: "Do not follow a casual (unintentional) look (at forbidden things) with another look." Al-Tirmidhi 2777. This is a general instruction by the Prophet to abstain from all that may sexually excite a person because it might lead him/her to commit the haraam (forbidden).
5) Using one’s available leisure time in worshipping Allaah and increasing religious knowledge.
6) Being cautious not to develop any of the medical symptoms that may result from masturbation such as weak eyesight, weak nervous system, and/or back pain. More importantly, feeling of guilt and anxiety that can be complicated by missing obligatory prayers because of the need to shower (ghusl) after every incidence of masturbation.
7) Avoiding the illusion that some youth have that masturbation is permissible because it prevents them from committing illegal sexual acts such as fornication or even homosexuality.
8) Strengthening one’s willpower and avoiding spending time alone as recommended by the Prophet when he said "Do not spend the night alone" Ahmad 6919.
9) Following the Prophet’s aforementioned hadeeth and fast when possible, because fasting will temper one’s sexual desire and keep it under control. However, one should not overreact and swear by Allaah not to return to the act because if one does not honor one’s promise, one would be facing the consequences of not living up to one’s oath to Allaah. Also, note that medication to diminish one’s sexual desire is strictly prohibited because it might permanently affect one’s sexual ability.
10) Trying to follow the Prophet’s recommendation concerning the etiquette of getting ready for bed, such as reading well-known supplications, sleeping on the right side, and avoiding sleeping on the belly (the Prophet forbade sleeping on the belly).
11) Striving hard to be patient and chaste, because persistence will eventually, Allaah willing, lead to attaining those qualities as second nature, as the Prophet explains in the following hadeeth: "Whoever seeks chastity Allaah will make him chaste, and whoever seeks help from none but Allaah, He will help him, and whoever is patient He will make it easy for him, and no one has ever been given anything better than patience." Bukhari:1469.
12) Repenting, asking forgiveness from Allaah, doing good deeds, and not losing hope and feeling despair are all prerequisites to curing this problem. Note that losing hope is one of the major sins punishable by Allaah.
13) Finally, Allaah is the Most Merciful and He always responds to whoever calls on Him. So, asking for Allah’s forgiveness will be accepted, by His will.
Wallahu a’lam. And Allah knows what is best and most correct.